ALERT! New homeowners and tenants.

If you have just moved into a new home and are looking forward to using your decorative fireplace or stove, please have it checked before you attempt to light a fire.image showing chimney pots

The previous owner/tenant could have capped the top of the chimney, had building work carried out which has compromised the integrity of the flue or simply not had the chimney swept for a long time. There could be a number of potential problems within the chimney/installation which could cause a chimney fire or the release of dangerous gasses.

Some Insurance companies will no longer pay out for chimney fire damage unless the flue has been swept and maintained by a professional chimney sweep who can issue a valid certificate of sweeping recognised by the insurance companies themselves.  Also, if the fire brigade are called out due to a chimney fire and it is proven that the chimney has not been maintained, the local council can bill you for the call out, and this has been known to be up to £2000 per fire crew.

DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THE RISK? OR JUST GET THE CHIMNEY SWEPT?

We issue these certificates for every chimney cleaned and checks will be performed from the fireplace opening to the top of the pot.  Your chimney will be swept and cleared and a smoke test will be carried out to ensure that your fire is safe and clear to use.

If you have any concerns or would like any advice, please do not hesitate to call me on 0208 3517164 or alternatively e-mail at paul@sweepsmart.co.uk